Tuesday, July 06, 2010

foster: Update

We are so lucky to be able to have continued contact with all 3 placements. We saw the twins a few weeks ago and they look so good, and BIG. For 6 1/2 month olds the are huge! I thought that they would be so different, but they're still "my girls". I was so happy to see S starting to push herself backwards. I really worried that the girls wouldn't get tummy time or the attention they needed because Mom C was trying to do so much by herself. To see S reach a developmental milestone gave me peace of mind that Mom and Dad can do this! Their permanency hearing is at the beginning of August.

Little Boy and Little Girl's permanency hearing has been pushed back. They are so attached to their foster parents and it's so good to see, especially Little Girl who was so resistant in our home. I hope the judge lets them stay where they are!

I'm sad we don't have a placement this summer. Last summer we were so busy with G and Lil G, and I really miss it. We are still waiting for the right call. This is the longest we've gone without a placement. We've received 2 calls from the adoption committee but neither were right for our family. It did cause a little crisis of faith in my abilities. I couldn't let go of the feeling of selfishness.

After our experience with Little Boy and Little Girl, I discovered how important it is for me to follow my instincts. I had to convince myself to take Little Boy and Little Girl and we eventually had them moved. I won't do that again. When I receive calls for children who have been severely abused, I know my capacity and skills will not be enough. When I say no, I instantly feel guilty. If I can't help abused children why am I doing foster care? Really, I don't know. I have to believe that there are more situations like G and Lil G or the twins where my capacity and skills can help, both the children and the parents. I do know that I love foster care. I love the children who have been in my home and I love the parents they have gone back to. I hope that I will have the opportunity to do it again. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

1 comment:

Blair and Leslie said...

That is great that you are able to keep in contact with the kids you have had in your home. That is one thing that I wish we had. I would love to know how they are doing.
I am sure that you will get a call to foster some kids that fit into your family and your capacity and skills. I think it is better to say no, than take the kids and have to have them moved to another home. It is less stress on you and the kids. I know what you mean about feeling guilty for saying no. You just have to remember that it is in the best interests for the children.
I hated the waiting!
I hope you get a call soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails