Sunday, January 24, 2010

craft: Butterfly Mobile

We have adjusted to being parents of twins and now I'm back to crafting. I've wanted a mobile for the nursery FOREVER but with our family situation ALWAYS changing I couldn't bite the bullet and buy one. So, I MADE my own mobile using this:



It's perfect for us because I can make one for boy or girl. I don't have to find a one style fits all. Loving that I don't have to be gender neutral in everything! Here's my version:

(this of course is not our nursery. I don't have a hooks placed yet, but one will hang above each crib)

Tips and tricks:

I bought a butterfly punch from the local craft store using a 40% off coupon-making the punch 9 dollars

You will probably only need 3 12x12 pieces of paper and 4 pieces of velum

I used both the inside and the outside of a an embroidery ring to make 2

When hanging the butterfly's make sure you use the LIGHTEST weight fishing line you can find. I used 6LBS weight.

Have I said that I love KSL! Here's a link to the video and instructions.



3 comments:

Whitmer Family said...

So cute, Erica! And I'm glad things are calming down a bit so you can enjoy doing some crafts! (and blogging? :> )

The Simmons Bunch said...

Ok, so i never thought I'd need a die cut machine until I saw that! SO CUTE!!! I want to do a star one for my boy's room and then maybe butterfly one just for me. :) I'm glad you're slowly figuring out the twin thing. I don't know how you do it. Three at different ages is enough to drive me batty most days.

Amy said...

I saw the butterfly mobile in the latest Pottery Barn catalog and wondere and fell in love with it but it was way too expensive to buy. Thanks for posting the video. Now I can make it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails