Sunday, June 06, 2010

Wanda Martin Wilson 1925-2010

This is my Grandmother. She died May 17th 2010. I was lucky enough to go home May 15th and be with my mother until Grandma's funeral on May 24. I've thought a lot about what I'd like to post. It's no secret that Grandma and I didn't get along very well. I always attributed it to us being so very much alike- stubborn. But ACTUALLY SPEAKING it may be because she lived with me as a high schooler - I'm sure that was no BOWL OF ICE CREAM!

I've been thinking a lot of legacies. The legacies passed down to us from our ancestors. Those we know/knew and those we only know through family history. It seems to me that I come from a family who is called upon to endure trials. There are many women in my family history who have endured harsh trials, both because of some one's use of agency and because of circumstances they lived in. My Grandmother was one of these women. I am so proud of the legacy she gave me of not being afraid of the darkness life sometimes offers. Some things I love to share about my Grandma are:

She stopped smoking after 50 years because Oregon raised the taxes on cigarettes and that ticked her off.

She went back to school after the early death of her husband and obtained not only her GED but a degree in bookkeeping/accounting.

She could make up her mind about something and you could not argue with her about it.

She was so worried I put too much product in my hair she asked her hair dresser about it.

She left home at 18 and traveled the almost 1,000 miles to work in San Diego. She did the electrical on airplanes during World War II-
She's our very own Rosie Riveter!

We have the picture below in our home of Grandma Wanda on her wedding day. It is gathered with other pictures of our parents and grandparents and is one of the first things you see as you enter our home.
I hope that I can share with my children the determined spirit my grandmother shares with me.

1 comment:

Courtenay Beth said...

Sweet tribute to your grandma Erica, what a feisty lady! love all that you learned from her, and I laughed about her asking her hair dresser about the product you use to tame your hair...lol...Sweet lady.

Related Posts with Thumbnails