Saturday, May 02, 2009

foster: Settling In

It's been an adjustment doubling our family overnight. But now we've settled in, gotten to know each other better, and have a routine. I've found there are some key things that keep me sane.

#1 Date Night. I need a night off at least every other week if not every week. It's easy to get burnt out doing Foster Care and taking a break is important. It makes me a better, more patient Mom.

#2 Five Minutes: Every night, just before scriptures and prayer, we set the timer for 5 minutes. Everyone chooses a room and races the clock to get that room clean. It's fun and it has relieved sooooo much stress. I can go to bed with a tidy house and wake up with one.

#3 Individual Quality Time with Each Family Member: Including J. Crafts and projects have been a big help with the kids. And after the kids are in bed J and I can talk. I have a lot to say. It's helpful for me to talk (and re-talk) through the day. ;)

2 comments:

The Simmons Bunch said...

Erica! I was so excited when I read your comment on my blog! It's been way to long! It looks like your loving life! Congrats on the two new foster kids! Keep in touch!
-molly

DKSBrayton said...

So true! Now that our house is getting settled I think we can start doing cleaning up at night and I love the 5 mintue idea! Thanks!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails