Wednesday, November 05, 2008

SO I've also been thinking about the election and I don't agree with what J has said. I do think that many Americans have done the research and voted with their conscience. I also know that Republicans have BLOWN it. I never said that John McCain was a great choice and had a hard time in the beginning choosing whom I would vote for. When it came down to it, it was the platform I voted for. I had to dig deep and decided what Governments job is and then try and align myself with a candidate that believed as I did. I hope that is what the majority of voting Americans have done. America was hungry for a change and we have many problems. I had to decide which solutions I could and could not support. Some answers came from the Left and some from the Right and again it came down to the platform. A local radio commentator said it best for me. "Government's job is to be the referee and not to suit up and play the game." Government has made some bad calls. If I was at football game I may have even stood up and booed at times. That said I still believe that Governments job is to ref the game not play it.

Our economic crisis reminds me of the crisis form the 1830's. Real estate speculation, inflation, failing banks.... except today we feel like we need the government to fix everything and not let it run it's course with little government involvement. Economic ups and downs have always been present with the freedoms we enjoy in this country and will continue to come in varying degrees as long as we have a capitalist society. On the flip side we will also have great high times of longer duration. I agree with J that we have been warned by a Prophet to get out of debt, collect food storage and become self reliant. I think that is great advice for individuals, institutions and governments.

E

1 comment:

Sean and Steph said...

I know you know my thoughts, and what the atmosphere was like at my house last night :) But the thing that I love about this post that I KNOW you really thought about it, really made the decision that was best for you, your family, and your country, based on the beliefs that you hold. I respect you so much for the thought and research you put into your decisions, and while we weren't necessarily on the same side of the ballot, we have a lot of the same feelings.

Kudos on the getting out of debt, self reliance, and food storage, all of those are wonderful goals!

I think you're awesome :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails