Sunday, April 26, 2009

"Remember Lot's Wife"

Our family is sick today-each with something different. As J lies in bed trying to survive, I took the children out to our living room and provided activities for both. I settled in with a blanket and started my Sunday with a BYU Devotional. BYUTV was broadcasting “Remember Lot’s Wife” by Elder Holland. At the end of his devotional he recounted a personal story in which he compared himself to Lot’s wife. In essence his young self said, "Let's go back, let’s give up, let’s go home." Isn't that what Lot's wife did? Longed for Home although there was a better place prepared for them? Elder Holland explained, “What was wrong with Lot’s wife is that she wasn't just looking back, but that in her heart she wanted to go back....[Lot’s wife] doubted the Lord’s ability to give her something better than she had.” In contrast, "faith builds on the past but never longs to stay there. Faith trusts that God has great things in store for each of us and that Christ is the 'high priest of good things to come.'" How grateful I am to live in this place. This GREAT place where there are so many opportunities, so many good gifts, and so many great examples. I will always long for family but I am going to start longing for my future here, with my husband, friends and opportunities for growth.

4 comments:

Whitmer Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

This was exactly what I needed to be reminded of today. It is hard to be away from family, and easy to fall into self-pity. But if you can move forward with faith the Lord will always bless you with everything you need.

Jacob said...

Great thoughts E. It's so easy to get caught up in this type of thinking/mentality.

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Hadn't read this yet on your blog. Thanks, I needed it today! It sounds like a great devotional... we really should be better about watching BYU TV.

Related Posts with Thumbnails